02 March 2009

Expose on the Neighborhood Market

I've never been a fan of the chain grocery stores that house meat and veggies that can come from countries in the opposite hemisphere. Imagine my surprise to discover a hidden gem in my own Old North section of London, Ontario. This discovery was made last year near the end of first semester. Driving down Cheapside situated on the corner connected to Maitland road sits Sullivan's Old North Market. My interest was peaked, so I stepped inside and discovered my favorite store in London. They are on the pricey side, but what you get for your money is quality.



There is a small section of fresh veggies, but that's not the reason to visit this particular market. It's a very small store, but they have a variety of top notch, fine cheeses, maple syrups, tomato sauces, etc. Chef Les also operates out the this market and he makes delicous entrees that are available to be made fresh, pick up, or you can look in the freezer and take home one of his handmade frozen dishes. You can even ask Chef Les to make pies for you on order. MMMMM! In my opinion, the best part of this market is the butcher. I can't quite recall his first name, but he is super sweet, friendly, and a bit of a looker. He cuts all his meat fresh, and it is all from local sources. He's told me he actually goes out to visit his suppliers to make sure they 'meat' his standards. That is dedication to me.







Please go and check this market out if you live in the North London area. You won't be disappointed.



Sullivan's Old North Market
462 Cheapside St.
London, ON
(519) 433-3161

2 comments:

Emily I. said...

Aww Sullivans! I use to live 2 blocks away from this wonderful place! it was always where I would come to get my penny candies! hehe!
Great place!

Anonymous said...

I love local markets! It's great when you can find one so close to you in your neighbourhood!

Post a Comment