06 March 2009

My Top 10: Spring

I'm so excited that spring is just around the corner! The snow has all but melted in southwestern Ontario and the temps are teasing me: 15C = 57F! So here are my top ten things I love about Spring!

1. SUN!

Yes, sun. No wonder the docs said I have a vitamin D deficiency! Yeah, no sun can do that to you. It's a little annoying to feel cold all the time and see nothing but clouds snow, freezing rain, and gloom from November to March. Today is a great day to head outside and catch some fleeting rays of golden goodness!

2. GREEN!

I know it's hard to believe, but under all that melting black snowy muck and decaying leaves there's green little plants planning their escape!

3. EASTER!

It's coming. I know it's not til April, but I love this holiday. It means no more winter and I love hard boiled eggs and all the Easter tradition!

4. SUGAR BUSHING

This may be a foreign concept to people not from Canada or the American Northeast, but it's truly one of the best things about Spring! Sugarbushing is the harvesting of fresh Canadian maple syrup, usually followed by a pancake breakfast. Trust me, if you've never tasted the pure stuff, you're missing out. I'll never go back to that corn syrup junk!

5. END OF CLASSES

Every student can agree with me when they look at the calendar around the beginning of April. Classes are winding up and exams are on the horizon, but that doesn't matter, because summer is almost here.

6. GETTING MORE ACTIVE

Even though I haven't gained any weight this winter, doesn't mean that I can't stand to lose a few pounds, and Spring is the perfect time to do it! There's more sun, more warmth, and just overall outsidey goodness.

7. ST. PATRICK'S DAY

Do you have a little Irish in you? I've got about 25%, but the rest is Pollack. But if you're not, who cares? Celebrate the day by throwing back a few green beers or Guinness at your local Irish pub (or Molly's if you're in London)!

8. SPRING CLEANING

This sounds a little crazy, I know, but think about it. Cleaning out and getting rid of all that clutter you've been storing up all winter long will clear your head, make you feel uber productive, reduce anxiety, and give you a nice clean space! If you don't have any clutter to clean out of your room, translate it to your life and that deadbeat boyfriend or girlfriend you've been keeping around for the hell of it.

9. SPRING STORMS

These are the best Spring occurrences if you enjoy the natural theatrics of mother nature unless you live in a basement apartment that likes to collect water in the occasional spot. What's not to love about the beauty of a flash of lightning or thunder that wakes you up three hours before your alarm goes off? And who can forget the dramatic suspense that tornado watches produce! Ahh, spring!

AND MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT SPRING...........

10. GETTING TWITTERPATED!

What? I know you're thinking I've fallen off the deepend and am just making up words, but think back to your childhood and watching Bambi. Thumper says that falling in love is becoming twitterpated and almost all animals shack up during the spring, so why can't we? If you're already attached, do something to let your partner know you appreciate them. Go on a trip, go out to dinner, or just hang around your couch together. Spring means that love is in the air! Awww, makes me think of Piotr. <3>



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sugarbushing is the best!! My fam used to go to a place outside of London that had a camp-style "restaurant"...not the most glamourous place, but fun nonetheless. Maple syrup is one of the things that makes life worth living. :P

Post a Comment