15 March 2009

Funeral of a Canadian Solider



I've been in St. Catharines this weekend visiting my boyfriend, but yesterday I had a random chance to experience the funeral of Warrant Officer Dennis Brown, 38, on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Hundreds of people lined the outskirts of the immediate vacinity where the funeral was taking place. I haven't felt that sad in a long time, just standing there with my dog, watching this ceremony take place. The hundreds of people can with a multitude of Canadian flags and respect. Brown left behind a wife and four children. I can't imagine or even want to imagine what his poor family is going through.

For the story on Brown and the other two fallen soldiers, click here.

The reason I'm writing this blog is because being from the United States and knowing the amount of soliders who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, you would think that I would have been to a soldier's funeral before, but I haven't. I didn't even go to the funeral of Nick Carnes, (a friend of the family), who died in Afghanistan in August 2007. I find them too painful. I figured this would be a good opportunity to pay some respect. I may not agree with war, but I do support soldiers of both countries, and give my respect to Brown and his family. I hope they are able to move forward with their lives eventually and that Warrant Officer Brown will never be forgotten. I know Nick will never be forgotten by those of us who knew him.
For more on Nick and other Kentucky National Guard Members who have passed away, click here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cousin in the states died in Iraq last year, so I know what you mean. War does us all no good.

Post a Comment